Campus Survey and Panel Policy
Campus Survey Policies
In the Fall of 2015, the Office of Institutional Research, Effectiveness, and Planning in cooperation with several other UM units, created the Survey Panel Group (SPG) to centralize procedures for requesting student/faculty/staff/alumni sample panels for surveys.
Administration of University of Mississippi Survey Panels
Individuals preparing to survey individuals (students, faculty, staff and/or alumni) at the University of Mississippi must review the Administration of University of Mississippi Survey Panels.
This policy applies to all requests for sample panel information (e.g., email addresses, FERPA-protected student data, personnel and alumni addresses and data) for the purpose of directly soliciting individual participation from UM students, faculty, staff, and/or alumni in a survey – which is an online or paper-based data collection tool.
The following is a list of exemptions to the survey policy application. If your survey meets one of these criteria, you do not have to submit a survey panel application form.
- Surveys within an office or academic department, where the survey author already has access to the sample panel
- Surveys evaluating an event or program, where the survey author already has access to the sample panel
- Institutional or organization elections
- Surveys that recruit participants indirectly using tools such as social media, UM Today or the Daily Mississippian
The following is a list of required information necessary in completing the Sample Panel Application. Before filling out this form, please make sure you have all of the following information or materials. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
- Purpose of the survey and/or how it will be used
- Contact information, including department or unit
- Proof of IRB approval, if applicable
- Description of the sample, sample size, and justification for the sample size (requests for sample panels greater than 33% of the total population will rarely be approved)
- Information about the survey methodology including examples of similar surveys, if applicable
- Recruitment procedures and incentives
- Plan for disseminating aggregate survey results
- A final draft of the survey
You can fill out the Sample Panel Application here.
Requests for sample panels for surveys from individuals or organizations outside of the University will rarely be approved. However, a paper copy of the UM directory can be purchased from the Office of the Registrar.
Frequently Asked Survey Panel Group Questions~Coming Soon
Back to Assessment Method Resources